Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Find the latest information and advice about Coronavirus in West Sussex.

Accessibility Statement
Text size:
Please review and correct the information below.

Housing matters

What help is there with housing matters?

Sometimes, living independently isn’t easy. Trying to get or keep a home can be a real struggle, but there are a variety of different housing options and support services available in West Sussex that could make it easier for you to manage where you are or choose somewhere more suitable to move to.

Why think about housing?

It may be time to think about your housing needs if:
You are struggling to pay your housing costs or other household bills on time
You are feeling isolated and need support to access local services and activities
You are finding your current home hard to manage

Would a supported living environment help?

Supported living schemes can provide independent living for people who want to have the security of being supported in their own home or living in a scheme with a small group of like-minded people. They are suitable for a wide range of people with a wide range of needs.

Do you want your own front door but also reassurance and company?

If you are over 60 there is a wide variety of retirement or sheltered housing schemes available in West Sussex, both for sale and to rent. They usually have some community facilities and a non-resident warden who visits regularly to deal with concerns.

Do you want to be in a scheme with on-site care staff to help you?

Extra care schemes provide all the facilities of sheltered housing but also offer on-site care staff and a range of services.

Things you can do

Consider your options

It is important to plan ahead. Get information and advice early, so you are not forced into a decision due to financial problems or ill health. It is easier to make changes to your current home or move to a more manageable home whilst you have a choice and can research what is available.

Would adaptations or repairs make your home more suitable for your needs?

You may be able to stay in your current home with a few changes. If you are disabled, you may be eligible for a disabled facilities grant to help you stay in your own home. Find out more about disabled facilities grants on the Disability Grants website.

Keep your home safe

Try to avoid trips and falls. Look out for slippery floors, trailing wires, poor lighting and loose garden paving.

Would a move to a more suitable property in a convenient location help you?

If you like the area you are in and have a good network of support, it may be wisest to stay close. Could you move somewhere nearby? If you are a council or housing association tenant, you may be able to exchange your home for a smaller one.

Support services that are available

Housing options in West Sussex

You can contact your local district or borough council’s housing department for information about different housing options, including sheltered housing and affordable rented housing.

Adur and Worthing Councils
Phone: 01903 221063
Arun District Council
Phone: 01903 737751
Chichester District Council
Phone: 01243 785166

Crawley Borough Council
Phone: 01293 438000
Horsham District Council
Phone: 01403 215100
Mid Sussex District Council
Phone: 01444 477574

Housing support services for people aged 16 - 64

MyKey is a service for people in West Sussex aged 16 – 64 who are at risk of losing their home. For further information, go to West Sussex County Council’s help with homelessness page or contact Southdown Housing.
Phone: 01903 867350

Housing support services for older people

Peabody runs a service called ‘Here to Help’ which supports older people living in sheltered housing in Chichester, Arun and Mid Sussex. You can use this form to refer yourself to the service. 
Phone: 01273 468100

Other sources of help with housing issues

For further information on housing, go to the housing section of the West Sussex County Council website.

The Elderly Accommodation Counsel’s website has a range of information and advice for older people.

Some equipment or telecare support might help you stay independent in your own home. Have a look at the Equipment house or Telecare page to find out what is available. You might also benefit from an assessment by an occupational therapist. Go to the Occupational therapy page to find out more. The Regaining Independence Service can help with short-term support to help you regain independence and prevention assessment teams can help people to remain independent in their own homes. In the Marketplace area you can find providers of independent housing schemes, equipment and support services, such as care at home.

Last reviewed: 27/03/2019

Useful websites