Please review and correct the information below.

What is adult abuse or neglect?

Abuse or neglect of an adult can take many different forms. It may be physical, sexual, financial, psychological or discriminatory. It can involve neglect or self-neglect. It also includes domestic violence and modern slavery.

Abuse or neglect can take place at home, in a care home, in a hospital, in a day centre, at work, school or college or outside in the community. The harm may be caused by a partner, carer, relative, friend, care worker, stranger or someone else with care and support needs and it may be deliberate or unintentional. Whatever the circumstances, it is important that you report your concerns.

What is Safeguarding Adults?

Safeguarding is protecting an adult's right to live in safety, free from abuse or neglect. It is everyone’s business to prevent abuse by raising any concerns they may have. 

What information can I find here?

These pages contain information about what to do if you think an adult in West Sussex may be being abused, harmed or neglected. Click using the arrows to the right and left or the headings at the top to move through this section and see what information is available.

Please also use the Useful links for more information.

Last reviewed: 17/11/2017

Useful links:

Report this page

Close window

You can use this form to register any query or complaint you may have about this website or any of the content within it. Simply fill in the details below and this will be sent directly to us to investigate. We will always try and respond within one working day.

Page Reference: Introduction to reporting abuse or neglect

However if you have further concerns about internet safety and would like further independent advice, please select the CEOP button below.

Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre Internet Safety
Helpdesk Icon

Need help?

Close window

If you need help using shop4support call the shop4support Helpdesk on
0333 600 6330 or email

If you have a question about social care, please contact your council.
Find out who your council is here.

Back to top