Please use Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge or similar browser to access this website.

*There are technical difficulties with accessing certain functions via Internet Explorer *

West Sussex County Council Logo and link to the website
Accessibility StatementMy Account
Text size:
Home - Connect to Support
Disabled Facilities Grants

A guide about adapting your home

Disabled facilities grants are provided by your district and borough councils for a range of home adaptations that help disabled people to live more independently in their own homes. The grants mainly help to make sure that disabled people can move more freely and safely around their home and use essential facilities.

Grants are provided for a range of home adaptations which can include:

• building ramps and widening doors
• installing stairlifts
• adapting kitchens for wheelchair users
• converting bathrooms into shower rooms and
• adapting toilet facilities.

Who can apply?

The following people can apply.

• Disabled people who own their own home.
• Disabled tenants, although council tenants may be dealt with separately.
• People who have a disabled adult or child living with them.

How much do I get?

The amount of grant you get will depend on your income, savings and investments. District or borough council officers use this information to determine how much you can afford to pay towards the cost of the adaptations. Grants for adaptations to benefit a disabled child do not depend on your income, savings and investments. Your local district or borough council
will be able to give you more details.

Last updated: 08 July 2021