Please use Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge or similar browser to access this website.

*There are technical difficulties with accessing certain functions via Internet Explorer *

West Sussex County Council Logo and link to the website
Accessibility StatementMy Account
Text size:
Home - Connect to Support
Your life, your choice

Appealing against our decisions and giving your views

An appeal is a way of asking us to look again at a decision we have made and will make sure you get a quick response. It is one way of dealing with concerns or complaints.

Who can appeal?

Any adult (including family and friend carers) who:
• has been assessed as eligible to receive council-funded social care support
• has been assessed as not eligible to receive council-funded social care support or
• has had a financial assessment for care services.

Can someone else appeal on my behalf?

Yes. As long as you meet the conditions in the list above, someone else can appeal on your behalf as long as they:
• are your recognised representative, for example, a relative, carer an advocate or someone with power of attorney or
• have your permission to appeal on your behalf.

If you are not happy with a decision we have made about the following issues, you can appeal against it.

• Whether you are eligible for council-funded social care
• Self-assessment
• Our assessment of your needs
• Financial assessment – the amount of disability-related spending we take into account when assessing your contribution towards your care
• Planning your support
• The amount of money you have been given to meet your
social care needs.

If you need help to make your appeal, please contact us and we will help you find an advocacy service (someone who will act on your behalf).  There is information about advocacy in section 6.

If you would like more information about the appeals process, you can ask your social care worker. You can also see the ‘Adults’ social care publications’
webpage to view the leaflet ‘Appeals relating to adult social care’, or you can contact our Adults’ CarePoint to ask for a copy.

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of your appeal, you  can complain to the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman at any time. However, they will only usually investigate a complaint after you have given us a chance to deal with it first. Please see 'Useful contacts' for their contact details.

Give us your views - Comments, compliments and complaints

We try to make sure that we always provide a high-quality service, but we know that there may be times when you are not entirely satisfied.

If you are not happy with the service you have received from us, or you are worried about your situation, tell someone you feel might be able to help you. The person from our service you have been in contact with, or their manager, is often the best person to help you. Or, you can contact our Customer Relations Team for adults. Please see 'Useful contacts' for their contact details.

Please also let us know if you have found our services useful, or if you think someone has done a very good job.

Healthwatch West Sussex

You can also give feedback on our services through Healthwatch West Sussex. Healthwatch is a consumer champion for health and social care. It represents the interests of patients, customers and the public, locally and nationally. It is independent of local councils and the NHS. You can contact Healthwatch West Sussex by phoning 0300 012 0122 or visiting

Last updated: 15 June 2021