Please use Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge or similar browser to access this website.

*There are technical difficulties with accessing certain functions via Internet Explorer *

West Sussex County Council Logo and link to the website
Accessibility StatementMy Account
Text size:
Home - Connect to Support
Your life, your choice

Care in a residential or nursing home


Information for people with social care needs

Wherever possible, care and support will help you to continue living independently in your own home. Some people go into a care home, often at a time of crisis, because they are not aware of the care and support that is available in the community. We advise you to get information about the options that are available to you. You can find information and advice on our West Sussex Connect to Support website . You can also contact our Adults’ CarePoint for information. 

If you have high-level needs and your condition is complex and perhaps changes regularly, it may be that receiving care in a residential or nursing home is the right option for you. You can go to a care home for a short stay when you leave hospital, for respite care (to give your carers a break from caring) or for long-term care.

If you need to stay in a residential or nursing home, it is important to make sure this is the right choice for you and that you understand how much the care home may cost for the length of your stay.

How we decide who can get help to pay for care in a residential or nursing home

If we agree you need care in a residential or nursing home, you may be entitled to receive financial help from us. The amount we will ask you to contribute towards the residential or nursing home’s fees is related to how much you are able to pay. Even if you do not need financial support from us, and would like to arrange and pay for your own care in a residential or nursing home, you can still ask a social care worker for advice.

For more information about how we work out how much you will have to pay towards the cost of your care, and when we would take the value of your home into account when working this out, please see our leaflet ‘Choosing and paying towards  care in a residential or nursing home’.   Or contact our Adults’
CarePoint and ask for a copy. 

If you are paying a care home’s fees yourself

If you are paying the care home’s fees from your own savings and investments, we strongly advise you to get advice from an independent financial adviser who specialises in long-term care. 

We want you to choose the best solutions to meet your needs. The Carewise care funding scheme can help you do this. Carewise provides information and advice about the care and support options that are available to you, and the most cost-effective ways of paying for care. Carewise is a partnership between us, Age UK West Sussex, the Society of Later Life Advisers, West Sussex Partners in Care and a panel of local independent financial advisers.

The independent financial advisers specialise in providing later-life financial advice to help people afford the best-quality care at home or in the care home of their choice. They are independent of us and they offer advice from across the whole financial market. Age UK West Sussex provides information and advice about a wide range of issues which affect people in later life, including a free money advice service.

Carewise aims to help you make the right choice about your care and support.  You can of course get advice from other financial advisers if you prefer.

The West Sussex Care Guide provides useful information and advice about your care and support options and choosing the right type of care for you. It also lists all the registered care homes and care providers in your area.  You can contact our Adults’ CarePoint and ask for a copy. 

We would also recommend reading our leaflet, ‘Choosing and paying towards care in a residential or nursing home’ and talking to us before making any final decisions.  For a printed copy, please contact our Adults’ CarePoint.  

Reviewing your support

We have a responsibility to regularly review your support with you. This is to make sure it still meets your social care needs and is what you (and your family) want. 

A review is an opportunity for us to discuss with you the support you are receiving. It is important that, together, we make sure things are going well. Reviewing your care and support plan with you is one way of doing this.

Your first review will take place within three months of starting to receive your support. After this, you should have a review at least once a year, or more often if necessary. However, you can ask us for a review at any time.

We may not always need to meet with you for you to tell us how things are going. For example, if your needs have not changed and you are happy that your support is working well, you can tell us this by emailing, phoning or writing to us. We will check back with you to make sure that we have understood what you have told us.

If you have a care and support plan but you are not receiving long-term services or funded support from us, we will review your plan with you within the first three months. If everything is working well for you, we will tell you how to contact us if anything changes. You can ask us to reassess your needs or review your care and support plan if your needs or circumstances change or you need support for  a longer period of time. An example of where you would have a care and support plan but not be receiving long-term services or funded support from us is if you need help to keep you safe from the risk of abuse or neglect, or if we are helping you to arrange other support that is more suitable for you.

There will be a written record of your review that will show what we have agreed. A social care worker will explain the review process to you.

For more information, please see our leaflet ‘Is your support working for you? A guide to reviewing adult social care’. Please visit  ‘Adults’ social care publications’, or contact our Adults’ CarePoint and ask for a copy.

Last updated: 09 June 2021