West Sussex County Council Logo and link to the website
Accessibility StatementMy Account
Home - Connect to Support

Where to go for more advice

A man accompanied by an advocate shaking hands with a health professional.

Where to go for more information

If you need help to get the support you need and you do not have family or friends who can do this for you,  please see the list of helpful contacts.

Housing, benefits, and other community support

Citizens Advice
Phone : 0808 278 7969
Contact your Local District or Borough Council

Contact your local district and borough council
Go to the West Sussex County Council website to for contact details.

Local community groups and support details from the library service
Phone: 01243 642111

Over 50s advice call Age UK  West Sussex, Brighton and Hove
Phone: 0800 019 1310

A man using a walking frame in front of a house.

Your home and family and friend carers who support you

There is help available for family and friend carers. You can get help if you care for someone else, even if they are your partner. Your family or friends can get help if they support you a little or a lot.

 If a carer would benefit from some help, then the Carers Support Service can help.

Contact details:

 Carers Support Phone: 0300 028 8888

A man having his blood pressure taken by a GP.

Your health

There are Easy Read health information leaflets and videos on the easyhealth.org.uk  website.

The law says that the NHS have to make information and their services accessible to you.

If you want to make a complaint about a health service, contact Healthwatch. Phone: 0300 0120 122

A person in a wheelchair using a cash point.

Your money and making your own decisions

If you are not able to make your own decisions then the law says this can only be done by a Lasting Power of Attorney or a Deputy.   An Independent Mental Capacity Advocate can help you when you don’t have family or friends who can.

Mencap logo


Mencap Direct is a free help and advice phone line. Advisors offer:

  • advice and information about learning disabilities
  • help to find the right support
  • help to find Mencap services in your area.

Call 0808 808 1111 from 9am to 5.30pm, Monday to Friday or email: helpline@mencap.org.uk

A man in an electric wheelchair being handed a drink by another man.

Your Social Life

Relationships are an important part of everyone's life. You can get Easy Read information about the support you can get in the West Sussex County Council Personal Relationship Policy.

JAM Card allows people with a learning disability, autism or communication barrier tell others they need ‘Just A Minute’ discreetly and easily.


Back to Easy Read Homepage