Please use Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge or similar browser to access this website.

*There are technical difficulties with accessing certain functions via Internet Explorer *

West Sussex County Council Logo and link to the website
Accessibility StatementMy Account
Text size:
Home - Connect to Support

Benefits and financial help

Benefits are essential to the welfare of many people, so it is important that you take up your full entitlement.

The arrangements for the majority of benefits are overseen by the Government, primarily through the Department for Work and Pensions.

The main exception is payment for people who are eligible for help with housing costs, which are organised by district and borough councils.

If you have an assessment of your needs, one of the things you will be asked about is your finances.

West Sussex County Council doesn't provide benefits, but they may be able to give you information about some of the financial help that may be available to you.

You may also be considering the prospect of paying for care at home or residential or nursing home care and this can seem daunting. For most people it is the first experience of arranging and purchasing care services. Understanding both care and funding options is crucial to making an informed decision and choosing the right solution.

To help you do this you can contact Carewise West Sussex. It is your pathway to information and advice about paying for long-term care. It aims to help you make the right choice, at the right time, with the right funding solution.

Housing benefits

If you have housing needs, financial support may be available to pay for the costs of housing, including Council Tax payments. Grants to have your home adapted to meet your physical disabilities are also available in certain circumstances.

Find out more and get the right advice on the Benefits - GOV.UK website.

The County Council and the nine Citizens Advice offices in West Sussex are working together to make sure pensioners don't miss out on and claim their full entitlements.

If you would like to talk to one of them, please phone your local office.

Last updated: 10 May 2021

Websites you may be interested in

Information about the law and your rights.
Gov.UK logo

Information on tax codes and credits, allowances, national savings and investments, and pensioners' issues.


Information on benefits and tax credits, including council tax and housing costs, national insurance, payment of benefits and problems with benefits.

Free, confidential information and advice for people over 50, their families and carers.

Helps people access the money available to them through welfare benefits, grants and other help.

A charity offering free, impartial advice about debt.