West Sussex County Council Logo and link to the website
Accessibility StatementMy Account
Home - Connect to Support

Safeguarding adults

Safeguarding is protecting an adult's right to live in safety, free from abuse or neglect.

It is everyone’s business to prevent abuse by raising any concerns they may have.

Report abuse or neglect

Abuse or neglect of an adult can take many different forms. It may be physical, sexual, financial, psychological or discriminatory. It can involve neglect or self-neglect. It also includes domestic violence and modern slavery.

Abuse or neglect can take place at home, in a care home, in a hospital, in a day centre, at work, school or college or outside in the community. The harm may be caused by a partner, carer, relative, friend, care worker, stranger or someone else with care and support needs and it may be deliberate or unintentional. Whatever the circumstances, it is important that you report your concerns.

No-one should have to live with abuse or neglect. It is always wrong, whatever the circumstances. Don’t assume that someone else is doing something about the situation.
  • If you or the person you are concerned about are injured, call an ambulance or a doctor.
  • If you think a crime has been committed, contact the police.
  • If you want to report a concern, contact West Sussex County Council’s Adult’s CarePoint on 01243 642121. You can do this without giving your name.
  • Make a note of your concerns, what has happened and anything you have done about it.
  • If you are concerned about someone you know, try to speak to them if it is safe to do so. Tell them why you are concerned and ask them what they want you to do about it.

Hate Crime

Abuse because of race, sexuality, gender identity, religion or disability is a form of Hate Crime. For more information about how to report Hate Crime, go to the Sussex Police report hate crimes page or West Sussex County Council’s report hate crimes page.

Domestic Abuse

If you are a victim of domestic abuse or you suspect that someone you know may be being abused, you can find helpful information and contacts in the Domestic abuse section of the West Sussex County Council website.

WORTH domestic abuse services

How to report abuse or neglect in West Sussex

If you are concerned that someone may be being harmed, neglected or abused, report it. Everyone is responsible for preventing abuse.

Phone: West Sussex County Council’s Adults’ CarePoint on 01243 642121

NGT Text Relay: 18001 01243 642121 (available as a downloadable app for computer tablets and smartphones. Helps people with speech and hearing difficulties.)

Fill in an online adult safeguarding alert form

Write to: Adults’ CarePoint, Second floor, The Grange, County Hall, Chichester, PO19 1RG

Phone: Sussex Police on 101

If you have any feedback regarding your experience of reporting abuse or neglect or of being involved in a safeguarding enquiry, West Sussex Safeguarding Adults Board would love to hear from you. Please email your comments to Safeguardingadultsboard@westsussex.gov.uk.

Last updated: 07 January 2022

Websites you may be interested in

West Sussex Safeguarding Adults Board logo

Is made up of different organisations involved in protecting adults, including West Sussex County Council, Sussex Police, the NHS and Healthwatch West Sussex.


The Policy sets out the approach taken to adult safeguarding across Sussex. The Procedures explain how agencies and individuals should work together to put the Sussex Safeguarding Adults Policy into practice.

Sussexsafeguardingadults. procedures.org.uk